Thursday, July 23, 2009

Fallout 3 Alignment Achievements

I've finished all of the achievements in Fallout, except for The Pitt, which I'm working on right now. I haven't spent this long on a single-player-only game in quite some time.

One of the achievement types is for reaching certain xp levels while at different alignments. If you reach level 8 as a good character, you get a certain achievement. If you reach it as an evil character, you get a different achievement. Neutral, and you have a third achievement. This seems to imply that you have to play through the game 3 times, once as each alignment.

What I did was I played through as a good character, saving fairly frequently. Whenever I levelled up at an achievement level, I would reload the save before I levelled, go to the Underworld where there is a computer terminal in the back room. Opening the terminal and closing it again right away takes away karma even if you don't actually use or hack the terminal, and can be repeated over and over again. After I knock myself down to neutral, I save and then destroy all the ghouls living in the Underworld, which finishes the levelup and gets the achievement. I reload the neutral save, and continue opening/closing the terminal till I get evil status, then do the Ghoul wipeout till the levelup hits.

Voila, you will have all 3 of the alignment based achievements for the level.

If Underworld is too difficult to get to, you can probably do the same trick with Colin Moriarity's terminal in his Megaton saloon. Just opening and closing red terminals will raise eyebrows but no armed response if npcs are around. I used Underworld cause there is a lot of xp available from the zombies and all on the one map.

Upsen.

No comments: