Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Halo - ODST is harder than Reach.

After I finished the Halo Reach Legendary campaign and umpteen firefights, I decided to go back and pick up Halo ODST and Halo 3 again to get some of those achievements that I'd missed the first time around, or thought were too difficult. With my new skill level, I was able to do a few things that I wasn't able to in the past, such as grenade jump for one of the skulls in Halo3, and do the entire Legendary mode in the ODST campaign.

Actually, the ODST campaign felt even tougher than the Reach campaign. The ODST trooper just doesn't feel as tough as the elite Spartans. (Makes sense I guess)

Between the two games, the control scheme had changed too. It was a bit hard to swap between them, and it kept causing me to lob grenades when I didn't want to. Why don't they just let us have a custom mapping function rather than some presets? I ended up just not playing Reach and concentrating on ODST for the duration of the Legendary campaign so I'd stop wasting grenades.

Speaking of grenades, one nice thing about ODST is that I could carry way more grenades up to 4x3 rather than 2x2 - saved me many times from getting ganked by squads of brutes.

There were parts of the game that were ridiculously tough, requiring you to kill off something like 8 brutes in a tunnel, 2 of them being the tough type that you can't stick grenades to, half of them armed with AOE cannons.
The stealth/silencer factors that help you through earlier parts of the game don't really count for much when it's just you and the brutes packed in an underground tunnel.

The energy pistol is much easier to aim in Reach, imo. The strike zone became a lot larger, cause shots that would be sure successes in Reach were failing to hit in ODST.

Anyways, a bit more ODST and I'll be done with the achievements, then I'll go back to Reach.

Upsen.

No comments: