Saturday, August 29, 2009

Champions Online - Decided against buying it.

I cancelled my preorder at the local EB, cause I wouldn't be getting the preorder bonuses or headstart from the beta program.

The reason is because of an account name issue. When I originally signed up on the Champions forum back in early 2008, they asked for a user login name, so I put in "Upsen_Downs". That was also the display name, but its not that big a deal, it is just a forum.

Feb 2008 -
Forum Login/Display name: Upsen_Downs

Later on, somehow that forum changes software or something, and split things up so that there is a separate login name and display name. Doh, I could have used that feature! Well, thanks a lot but I guess it's not too bad, it is just a forum.

Aug 2009 -
Forum Login: Upsen_Downs
Forum Display Name: Upsen_Downs

Then, I find out that the forum login is the same as the game login. This part is not good at all, I don't like it.
The Forum display name becomes the in game global identifier which is all right.

Aug 2009-
Forum Login: Upsen_Downs
Forum Display Name: Upsen_Downs
Game Login: Upsen_Downs
Game Global Name: Upsen_Downs

Now, I *want* to use the name Upsen_Downs in the game, but I dont want it to be the same as my game login!

I contacted their various support teams 3 times to try and get some help getting my account name changed. However their invioable policy states that they do not change login names. Something about the system being unable to change that sort of detail, sigh. They said for me to just open a new account to use my actual game key, and that they would not transfer anything from my old account, including my beta key bonuses (most importantly, a basic flying superpower, the whole point of preordering)

Apparently, I screwed myself over by signing up for their website early and chatting with other people who were interested in the development of the game.

Anyways, they changed my forum display name to Unhappy_Upsen, one of the 3 alternatives I listed in my "please help me" emails. Which doesn't hide my login at all, since the old name is clearly quoted several times in threads discussing login name problems.

For me, Champs has been one disappointment after another. Between the frustrating Fileplanet experience, the comedic style gameplay/characters, the botched account info, loss of my preorder bonuses, and the inability of their support department to help me out, I had enough.

I'm just glad that I didn't actually have to buy the game or give them a credit card number.

Upsen.

CS Response

Wed, 08/26/2009
Thank you for contacting Cryptic Studios Billing Support.

Your display name has been changed to Unhappy_Upsen. Not being able to change the account name is due to how our system is set up, so there is not currently a way around it on any level.

Setting up a new account when the game goes live would let you choose a new account name. We would not be able to transfer your old accounts information though.

Thank you for your patience!


No comments: