Friday, January 1, 2010

Why is changing an account or forum name so hard?

This is something annoying that I've run into this in a few different games.

First time around it was during my Champions Online experience, where they refused to change my account name so it would be different from my in-game and forum name, when, if I'm remembering correctly, it was their fault that their damned forum software didn't differentiate between login names and displayed nicknames when they first made the discussion forum available.

At least there I could protest by not subscribing to the game.



Now I find I'm having a similar issue with my Lord of the Rings Turbine forum name.

I had created my Turbine account back long ago enough that I wasn't using the forum name "Upsen" at the time. I was still using the name "Nizetti" quite extensively. I decided I wanted to update the forum name to "Upsen" so I could do a bit of posting, reflecting my ingame character's name. Only problem was, there was no option to change it!

So poking around the forum a bit and not finding an answer, I posted asking people how it was done. Basically the replies back said that it isn't done, it's not possible. Apparently it was tried before, and it would break forum access. What the hell?

I eventually found a support FAQ answer for it:
Can I change my account's Username?
No. Once your Username has been created it is not possible to alter it.Neither Turbine Account Management nor Turbine Technical Support can change your Username.

I accidentally misspelled my Username during account registration. Can I fix it?
All the details of your account are tied to the Username that you choose. The Username cannot be changed once it is selected.
Chrissakes, people, this is 2010 now! Why the hell is your software so inflexible?

Upsen.

No comments: