Friday, November 22, 2013

Decanting spray cans into a bottle

After happening to see that some people decant spray paint into a bottle so they can airbrush using it, I figured I'd do that with a can of Tamiya primer.  I had already sprayed a little into a baby food jar and used that in my airbrush to great effect priming my first model.

The spray cans are sold locally $10 for a 180mL can, and the little bottles of primer are $6 for 60 mL.  I'll just decant a 3oz airbrush bottle of it.  Airbrush bottles have a special cap that contains a siphon feed for the brush and a vent hole to let air in to balance the pressure.  A nice little setup.  Easy right?

Not quite so easy.  Here's how NOT to do it:

The spray is very volatile, stinking to high heaven.  I made the poor choice of trying it in the bathroom with the bathroom fan on.  NOWHERE near effective enough.  The bathroom is still stinking like crazy after an hour of venting (you'll find out why soon enough)

Then, the primer comes out as you'd expect, a nice spray cloud of vapour, which doesn't like going easily into a bottle.  I just sprayed it against the inside of the bottle and covered the top with a bit of paper towel.  It was really, really COLD to hold.  I should have used a straw of some kind.

Even after you have covered the bottle and managed to decant some of the primer successfully, for some reason the primer really likes just flying out of the bottle! You can't just cap off the bottle of freshly decanted paint and be done with it. I tried to do that and watched a stream of primer jet out of the top of the bottle through the airbrushing siphon tube and go all over the bathroom sink.  #F^*&$#$!  It took some quick thinking to get at the primer with some thinner to clean it off, though that compounded the problem with the fumes, probably by several orders, since it was now drying and vapourizing off the sink.  Flushing it with water doesnt really help, they really dont mix, creating crappy chunks of primer and displacing the thinner which was actually doing the cleaning.

Of course, after that, I tried to cap off the bottle a second time, this time with the siphon tube cap on, and instead I get primer flowing out of the seams of the cap all over the bottle and the sink... AGAIN.  I finally noticed that the primer was letting off vapour quite strongly still at this point, and was still rather volatile as a liquid.  I carefully capped it a third time with the small vent hole at the top of the bottle uncovered, and it sat there happily shooting fumes out the vent hole.  I did a second cleanup, worsening the thinner fume situtation and getting somewhat dizzy, high, and nauseous.  I took the bottle of primer outside to let it vent... where it was raining.  Sigh.  Hopefully it'll be usable tomorrow or something, and not a giant lump of dried up primer stuck in a unusable bottle.

So anyways, I am going to try something else, maybe gesso like some people suggest on the net, which is like $10 for a huge bottle...  Though I wonder what I need to thin that with.

Upsen.

No comments: