Saturday, November 16, 2013

1985 Hyaku Shiki - Stripping old paint off of a plastic model kit

Last post I was mentioning how I was trying to figure out how to remove the paint from my old Hyaku Shiki kit - I did some research on the net, and the top solutions seemed to be:

  • Dettol, Isopropyll Alcohol, or Pine Sol - all of which are sold around.  Problem is, these seem to need some muscle work after soaking for a couple of days - takes too long, and I'm not sure how well the model will stand up to vigorous scrubbing
  • Easy Off Oven Cleaner - Spray it on, scrub it off, but it wasn't clear about which type to use - the Aerosol can one or the manual pump one.  Sounded like it'd be more effective than the Dettol though.
  • Brake Fluid - soak the model in brake fluid - apparently takes the paint right off, no effort, but is not easy to dispose of, and you have to be careful what plastics you put in it.  So I didn't risk it.
  • Graffiti Remover, which can also be used on the model, sprayed on and as effective as the brake fluid. Also, these are billed as low odour and environmentally friendly.

So I tried the Easy Off which is easily obtainable:  After a couple days soaking in the aerosol sprayed version, (in a small plastic tub), I tried some scrubbing with a toothbrush and scraping with my thumbnail:



Subsequent soaking and scrubbing/scraping didn't really do much. I needed something stronger it seemed.

I managed to find a can of Graffi Remover from the local hardware store - I didn't know that this sort of thing was easily found, nice!  It was the Watch Dog brand Lift Away one that I picked up, and I gave it a good sprayover after testing it on a bit of the sprue on the side.  It took off EVERYTHING.  Wow this stuff was nice - I didn't even need to scrub that hard with the toothbrush, everything rubbed off like it was never attached.

I may have left in in there a little TOO long though - I was supposed to let it sit for a few minutes (fresh graffiti) so I figured I'd leave it in there a couple hours (20 year old paint) and I ended up leaving it for 24 hours till I next got a chance to clean it up.  Some of the color is stripped on the blue sprue sheet, but the plastic is undamaged, phew...




Really nice!  Ready for priming now!

Upsen.

No comments: