Friday, October 10, 2008

Going Commando

I tried the commando once near when I started playing Too Human, got one up a few levels to get the achievement for playing all character classes to Level 10. I remember dying a lot to stupid things. I thought meh, it's okay.

However, this time around when I tried it, knowing the enemies made a HUGE difference in survivability. The only trouble comes from certain resistant trolls, especially if they have a bomb launcher. Aside from that, the game is a lot easier since you dont have to worry about polarity foes blowing up next to you as much, since you can blast them away. I found that a lot of polarities are immune to gunfire, but not immune to the laser rifle's secondary blast. 3 ticks and they are dead. This makes the laser rifle extremely appealing even though there are no specific commando bonuses for laser rifle. I just use the bonuses off Rifle Damage from the commando plasma right path, and the reload bonuses off the Human skill list. (I'm going to get a few more points in to get the additional combo level at the end of the tree, can always use that.) So I guess I'm a plasma commando, more of a 80-20 split between laser-plasma, since sometimes plasma is easier to use on trolls in tight spaces. If it was multiplayer with no pausing I'd just stick with the laser, I'd think.

I haven't really had too much trouble with combo levels - Normally the commando kills so fast that a combo level will build up, and in a pinch, I can juggle something and lase it to death since we get more points off an air kill.

One of the best bonuses for me seems to be ballistic juggle time - with about a +30% or so bonus, I can do a single juggle long enough to take a goblin boss from full health to dead. Unfortunately I upgraded past the piece of armor that I'd slotted the juggles in, and I'll definitely have to build another one once I find some more.

I picked up Unstoppable: World Serpent with the commando - Ice Forest is still a bit too rough, the length of stage 2 has always meant an unlucky encounter with a dot-effect death. (usually from a ballistic-immune troll) One of these times I'll luck out and get away with it, or maybe try it with a friend some time.

No comments: